8.24.2005

In Search of Buff-breasted Sandpipers


(click on image for larger version)

Two of my colleagues from Eagle Optics finally got to see a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER at Horicon National Wildlife Refuge. Katie Fitzmier and Valerie Langlois had the day off work yesterday with perfect weather for a road trip. From the report Katie gave me over her cell phone on their way back it sounded like many of the shorebirds that were there on Saturday have already moved on, but they still saw lots of fun birds and had a great time.

A few weeks ago Katie missed a Buff-breasted Sandpiper by only 15 minutes at the V-Pond north of Waunakee. I called her on Jesse's cell phone and said, "Katie, guess what I'm looking at RIGHT NOW through my spotting scope?" Shortly after I hung up, a Cooper's Hawk flew over the pond scaring up all the shorebirds! The Buff-breasted Sandpiper remained but skittishly bobbed on its legs. It was all too much for the sandpiper...it took off and headed out for good.

Anyway, congratulations to Katie and Val on the life bird Buff-breasted Sandpiper!

Buff-breasted Sandpiper © 2005 Michael Allen McDowell