3.17.2007

Dusting off the Digi-gear

This morning I spent 3 hours birding along the Pheasant Branch stream corridor under sunny skies but slightly cooler temperatures. I saw my first Eastern Phoebe of the year, and while it appeared to be finding insects, a nearby Cooper's Hawk seemed interested in watching the somewhat sluggish phoebe.



I found four Carolina Wrens, but they were not very cooperative photographic subjects. However, they were a joy to listen to perched atop the tallest trees and belting out their trademark “tea-kettle, tea-kettle, tea-kettle” song. White-breasted Nuthatches were everywhere and are always more accommodating to nature photographers:



This American Robin hopped down to the stream bank to refresh itself:





Here are all the bird species I observed this morning:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Hooded Merganser
Woodduck
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
American Tree Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

It's a long story, but when I got back to my car I found a handwritten note on my windshield:

I'm the lady w/dog that was screaming at you at the Pheasant Branch Co. Park. I am very, very sorry for my behavior. I was hoping I would get a chance to apologize.

Sincerely,

Mary

p.s. I hope you can forgive me.

No worries, Mary!

All images © 2007 Mike McDowell