Sunday, April 18, 2010

Digiscoping at the Drumlin



I heard the funniest thing today. While walking up the trail to the top of the drumlin at the prairie parcel of Pheasant Branch Conservancy, I overheard a woman say to her friend, "It wasn't like this last weekend. It looks like they've covered the grass with something." I couldn't resist and said, "They covered it with fire!"

I spent most of the afternoon sitting on the shade side of an oak tree, reading and waiting for whatever birds might perch directly in front of me. The first was a Brown-headed Cowbird, and I'm a little embarrassed to say that I actually photographed it. But I'm not sharing it! The shadow of the oak was like an hour hand of a clock, crawling slowly over the ground as the sun moved across the sky. Occasionally I would shift my position so that my camera remained in the shade; it's far easier to digiscope that way. Eventually, as luck and patience would have it, I captured a few nice photographs of a Brown Thrasher and Northern Flicker:







All images © 2010 Mike McDowell

5 comments:

  1. Very nice pics Mike as usual ! I need to get myself back to the US and take some pics, looks like i wont be at Cape May this year with Mr Ingraham

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are great! I tried getting a Brown Thrasher yesterday with my 300mm camera lens - didn't come out too well. They don't let me get very close :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, go ahead and post that Cowbird picture. It isn't their fault that their genetics dictate them to be unfit parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jen,

    Very true! I'll post it later.

    Mike M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerri,

    The secret to getting a good picture of a Brown Thrasher is to pick a spot where they are, and there are plenty of stumps. Aim your camera at one of the stumps and wait. One will eventually perch on your stump - they just can't resist it!

    http://www.birddigiscoper.com/birdBRTH2.html

    http://www.birddigiscoper.com/birdBRTH.html

    Good luck!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete