8.07.2011

Nine Springs Shorebirds


Spotted Sandpiper

The water levels are somewhat high at Nine Springs, but I found one suitable pond that had nice mudflats for shorebirds. Plus, there was a convenient window through the cattails to aim my spotting scope through. Peering in, I could see Least Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers, Spotted Sandpipers, Solitary Sandpipers, one Stilt Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Killdeer.


Spotted Sandpiper

I wish I had gotten out earlier, but I neglected to charge my camera batteries overnight, so I didn't get going until 10:30AM. By the time I started scanning the lagoons the temperature was already in the low 80s. Sweat running off my forehead dripped on my camera as I digiscoped peeps and plovers.


Least Sandpiper

The Least and Spotted Sandpipers were pretty accommodating distance-wise, but they were pretty quick working the edges of the mudflat. It's a challenge keeping with them through the camera's viewfinder.


Least Sandpiper

The Stilt Sandpiper and some of the other larger shorebirds stayed at the far side of the pond, so I wasn't able to capture as much detail as I would have liked. The heat started getting to me after about an hour, so I called it a day. Winds are out of the north tonight, so I'm betting most of these birds are in flight as I type.


Stilt Sandpiper

All images © 2011 Mike McDowell