1.30.2012

January Ends



I slipped on some ice and hurt my back last week. With coffee in one hand and backpack in the other, I caught my balance in an awkward twisting motion and managed to throw out my sacroiliac joint. At least I didn't hit the ice and give myself a concussion like I did last winter. I was sore enough that I didn't feel up to walking long distances until yesterday. After brunch at Prairie Cafe in Middleton with Sylvia, Dottie, and Mark, we headed to Pheasant Branch to do a little birding (Mark opted to head home, though). I'm glad I was well enough because I wanted to get one more January PBC count into eBird.

We found many of the usual suspects, including the Hermit Thrush that's been present most of this winter. Northern Cardinals have been singing since late December and are most numerous throughout the conservancy. There was a gorgeous fly-over Rough-legged hawk and one Common Redpoll heard calling but we didn't get a look at it. There were two Belted Kingfishers; one male, one female, but at different locations. The owls were in their usual daytime roosting spots and various woodpeckers were hammering and tapping - all was well in the winter woods!

Pheasant Branch, Dane, US-WI
Jan 29, 2012 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM
30 species

Canada Goose
Mallard
Red-tailed Hawk
Rough-legged Hawk
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl
Barred Owl
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
American Tree Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
Common Redpoll
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Northern Cardinal © 2012 Mike McDowell