3.27.2017

More Returning Birds!

"I miss it if I’m not in it for any length of time; I don’t feel comfortable. I want trees and I want frequent rain."

― Murray Morgan


Eastern Phoebe

It was a perfectly dreary weekend of rain and overcast skies. Nevertheless, I found a few opportunities to walk along the creek corridor of Pheasant Branch Conservancy. Migratory birds have been pushing through despite the gloomy weather. I observed my first Eastern Phoebes, Golden-crowned Kinglets, and Yellow-rumped Warblers of spring. I also found a few Common Loons in breeding plumage at the northwest corner of Lake Mendota.

We're going to have seasonal temperatures for the next week ― that should bring in more birds!

Pheasant Branch, Dane, Wisconsin, US
Mar 24, 2017 4:15 PM - 6:15 PM
42 species

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Bufflehead
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Red-tailed Hawk
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
Ring-billed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
American Kestrel
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Yellow-rumped Warbler
American Tree Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
House Finch
House Sparrow

All images © 2017 Mike McDowell