6.05.2018

Black Earth Rettenmund Prairie


Dickcissel Spiza americana

I went to Black Earth Rettenmund Prairie on Sunday afternoon to see what wildflowers were in bloom. A few Dickcissels were singing during the short hike around the prairie. Though a tad early for the real flower-works, I was pleased to see a few open Wood Lilies. I think a good time to visit will be between June 10th through the 15th to catch them in all of their splendor. One tip: Be mindful of the Poison Ivy on the trail that runs to the south part of the prairie!


Wood Lily Lilium philadelphicum


Pale-Spiked Lobelia Lobelia spicata


Yellow Star Grass Hypoxis hirsuta


Prairie Phlox Phlox pilosa 


Starry Solomon's Plume Smilacina stellata


Killdeer nest

I made a run for tiger beetles at the Sauk City Canoe Launch earlier in the day, but only had an hour to photograph them. Clouds rolled in and the temperature sank, sending the beetles back into their burrows. In the short time I was there, I did manage to obtain some nice portraits of Big Sand Tiger Beetles. Aren't they lovely?


Big Sand Tiger Beetle Cicindela formosa generosa







All images © 2018 Mike McDowell