8.21.2018

Rearrangment!

"Man is not, by nature, deserving of all that he wants. When we think that we are automatically entitled to something, that is when we start walking all over others to get it."

― Criss Jami



Addendum: I created a GoFundMe campaign to help restore the creek corridor.

Last year I got to see a total solar eclipse on my birthday, and this year I got to see the destruction of my beloved creek corridor. Though I probably wasn't supposed to enter, I went there after work to see it and take photographs. I didn't feel sadness or anger, but just awe at Nature's power. In a way it didn't seem like destruction, but more of a rearrangement. It was almost as if it was a protest against paved paths and bridges. I do recall a time the corridor was a diminutive dirt path with stone creek crossings. Perhaps the biggest tragedy of all, Middleton had just recently repainted the annoying yellow dashed lines―such a tremendous waste of time, and they are truly ugly. But who knew, right? How will the bicycle commuters get to work now? I guess they'll have to use sidewalks and streets like everyone else.





As I photographed, I spotted a pair of Belted Kingfishers zooming down the corridor, just as they have for the three decades I've walked these trails. Peewees were singing, cardinals were chipping, and chickadees foraged in the wooded parts as if nothing had changed. Even a Baltimore Oriole called out with no detectable variation of its song. And then I realized all would be fine. The migrating warblers will soon pass through, but I may not be allowed to enter the corridor to bid them farewell until spring.







What will Middleton do?





Who is going to pay the cost?

Shall we start a GOFUNDME campaign?







Now that the City of Middleton has an opportunity to rebuild this trail, perhaps they'll take to heart the notion that this section of the conservancy is much more than a commuter trail; that there is a richness, character, and inherent value all to its own in the simple pleasure just to walk, listen, and observe its flora and fauna. Maybe Middleton will wake up and see the creek corridor for the natural gem it has always been and always will be. That would be a dream come true!



All images © 2018 Mike McDowell