6.02.2005

Birding and Biking


Ye old reliable Geo Prism conked out and is in the shop for a few days, so I decided to ride my bicycle to work today. Madison naturalist Dave Fallow coined the term ‘birking’ (birding and bicycling) and is a staunch advocate for “doing something now rather than waiting for the powers that be” when it comes to environmentally friendly methods of commuting around town. Though I doubt I could ride my bike every day from Waunakee to Middleton, it certainly is a great way to hear and see birds. I have to admit I was pretty surprised to find 46 species during my 45-minute bicycling commute. Hey, that’s just about a different bird every minute!

Great Blue Heron, Green Heron, Mallard, Red-tailed Hawk, Ring-necked Pheasant, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, Mourning Dove, Barred Owl, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Downy Woodpecker, Alder Flycatcher, Willow Flycatcher, Great-crested Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Horned Lark, Tree Swallow, Blue Jay, American Crow, Black-capped Chickadee, House Wren, Sedge Wren, Eastern Bluebird, Wood Thrush, American Robin, Gray Catbird, Cedar Waxwing, European Starling, Warbling Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Yellow Warbler, American Redstart, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Cardinal, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, Chipping Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, Eastern Meadowlark, Common Grackle, House Finch, American Goldfinch and House Sparrow.

During the ride home I added: Sandhill Crane, Blue-winged Teal, Barn Swallow, Chimney Swift and Eastern Wood-Pewee.