11.04.2005

Northern Shrike!


(click on image for larger version)

There were two EASTERN MEADOWLARKS at Pheasant Branch Conservancy this morning. Probably not exceptionally late but still a species I wasn't expecting to see early November. The NORTHERN SHRIKE remains the hunter of the fields, mostly spending its time perched on utility wires near the parking lot. I could barely believe my luck when it perched right above me as I was walking back to my car.

Northern Shrike #2

Northern Shrike #3

Species List:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Red-tailed Hawk
Ring-necked Pheasant
Sandhill Crane
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
NORTHERN SHRIKE
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Winter Wren (by the small springs)
American Robin
European Starling
American Tree Sparrow (dozens)
Fox Sparrow (few)
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow (1)
Dark-eyed Junco
Lapland Longspur
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
EASTERN MEADOWLARK
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
American Goldfinch

Northern Shrike images © 2005 Michael McDowell