3.18.2006

Tundra Swans on the ice



This morning I checked Goose Pond and Schoneberg Marsh for swans and geese. The temperature is back below freezing so I wondered what I would find...frozen-to-the-water birds? When I got there, I saw that there was still some open water at Goose Pond, but a few of the Tundra Swans were walking around on the ice...or shall I say ice-skating?







Most of the time they either preened or slept, so I decided to head over to Schoneberg Marsh. The birds there were too far out on the water to photograph, but present were Snow Geese, Ross's Geese, Cackling Geese, Greater White-fronted Geese and Canada Geese.

It was fun listening to the different species vocalizations, and I especially like the higher-pitched call of the white-fronted. I quietly observed the geese through my scope for about an hour before heading home - a very relaxing way to start the day.

All images © 2006 Mike McDowell