10.20.2006

Looking to the weekend...



This morning I found my first American Tree Sparrows of fall foraging along the trail near the big springs at Pheasant Branch . There were lots of White-crowned Sparrows, Fox Sparrows and Song Sparrows, but fewer White-throated Sparrows. While looking up information on American Tree Sparrows for a blog post, I came across Nuthatch's wonderful article on the species she wrote last year – why reinvent the wheel? I'm a photographer, not a writer and I doubt I could have said it better!



Tomorrow morning I might go scoping for loons around Lake Mendota and Monona. Jesse Peterson found 34 Common Loons around the Madison area last weekend. Ryan Brady in Ashland is finding Commons, but also a few Pacific Loons. Just this morning Ryan reported a Red-throated Loon to the Wisconsin Birding Network.

All images © 2006 Mike McDowell