6.22.2008

New Robins



A fragile souvenir was arbitrarily left on our patio this morning; most likely from the American Robin pair that have built a nest where an eave meets the siding under the ledge of our roof. New life emerges from their second brood this season. Last year when this nest was only partially constructed, an early spring storm sent it to the ground. When discovered, I got up on a ladder and jammed it in so that it wouldn't likely be blown out again. The female completed the nest in only a few days and probably didn't even need my help. I wasn't surprised at all that it was reused this year; perhaps to even the same robin pair. It's a wonderful time of year for someone who wakes up as early as I do. Taking my seat on our front steps, listening to the reverberating waves of robin song emanating from every direction in the village.



© 2008 Mike McDowell