9.02.2008

Warbler Watcher



We had an especially good weekend at Pheasant Branch Conservancy - 12 warbler species for Saturday and Sunday. We found a Nashville Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler, Golden-winged Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Canada warbler, and more. Given all these fun sightings, someone asked a good question in comments: why I haven't posted any new bird photographs? Well, this time of year isn't so good for digiscoping warblers – the foliage is still pretty dense and the warblers are super hyper as they forage for insects, generally in the upper story. I spare myself the humiliation!

Generally, I'll wait wait until late spring or mid fall for digiscoping – it's exceedingly easier. Plus, I really don't like lugging the spotting scope and tripod around when I'm trying to admire birds and observe their behavior. Waiting later in the fall means warbler candidate subjects will be Nashvilles, Tennessees, Yellowrumps and Palms. However, in late September and early October I'll have over a dozen different sparrow species that I can digiscope – again, far easier birds to photograph.

I've made it a point to be a bird watcher first and a bird photographer second. I get a lot of personal enjoyment helping my birding friends find birds – probably even more so than obtaining nice portraiture of a warbler. But don't worry! There will be more bird photographs!

Nashville Warbler © 2008 Mike McDowell