8.02.2009

Shorebird Sunday


Killdeer

Early this morning I returned to the Market Street drainage pond and found it bustling with shorebirds. There were Least Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers, Spotted Sandpipers, Solitary Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, Killdeer, and a single Semipalmated Plover. I carefully reclaimed my digiscoping spot along the willow edge and went to work.

With a sense of urgency, several of the birds stayed only long enough to refuel and then took flight in a southeastern direction. Calling as they flew above me, a small flock of Solitary Sandpipers were followed closely by some of the Lesser Yellowlegs. However, much to my delight, fresh arrivals from the north replenished their numbers. It's fascinating to watch a piece of migration in progress.

As I was photographing, I heard songs and calls of other birds; Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, Song Sparrow, and Eastern Kingbird. There were lots of swallows, too, including Barn Swallow, Tree, Swallow, and Cliff Swallow. I can’t wait to see what shows up next at this diminutive pond!


Spotted Sandpiper


Lesser Yellowlegs


Least Sandpiper






Solitary Sandpiper





All images © 2009 Mike McDowell