5.15.2011

Backyard Baltimore Orioles!



I tripod mounted my Nikon Coolpix 8400 on my balcony and used its remote controlled shutter to photograph Baltimore Orioles today. I've have to say this is some of the easiest bird photography I've ever done! I was lying on my couch waiting and whenever an oriole flew in to feast on jelly, I pointed the remote at the camera (through the window) and fired off exposures. Unfortunately, I don't have good lighting on my balcony patio since my apartment faces north, but I'm still pretty thrilled with the results. I first spotted one of the orioles on May 11th as it tried to get nectar from my hummingbird feeder. I quickly set out a little bowl with jelly (strawberry and grape) and within minutes the oriole returned. Now I have as many as four individual birds (three males and at least one female), sometimes all at once! Many people I know are saying it's been a great spring for watching orioles in their backyards.









All images © 2011 Mike McDowell