6.06.2012

Transit of Venus!



Here's a photograph of the June 5th, 2012 Transit of Venus taken through my Celestron 8” SCT and Nikon 1 V1 digital camera using a neutral density solar filter. I met up with Mark & Dottie Johnson, Nancy & Jack Heiden, Jessica Gorzo, and Max Henschell at a cemetery in Arena yesterday after work to view and photograph the transit. Initially, there was too much cloud cover in Middleton, but we saw the skies clearing to our west and made the trip. It was well worth it. I think my friends who were with me would agree that the view through the eyepiece was absolutely stunning. I was also fortunate to have observed the transit back in June of 2004, but the next one isn't until the year 2117. For some super amazing digital imagery of the transit, take a look at the photographs captured by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory.

© 2012 Mike McDowell