Friday, November 16, 2012

Backyard Bohemian Waxwing!



I wasn't expecting to get a new Dane County bird this morning, but that's exactly what happened just as I was about to head out the door to go to work. The apartment complex where I live has a few berry and crabapple trees in the courtyard. As I walked past my patio window, I could see one of the trees was full of birds, presumably waxwings by their shape, size, and color. Given the irruptive status of Bohemian Waxwings this year, I thought I better make a quick binocular inspection of the flock. As I scanned through them, I found exactly what I was hoping for. I quickly grabbed my spotting scope and camera and headed outside to at least get a documentation photograph of the bird. I only had a few minutes and these were the best I could get in the short time available.



I love it when new birds come to you!

All images © 2012 Mike McDowell

4 comments:

  1. Cooool! Congrats on a bodacious find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice thing to wake up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great birds. Interesting to read, since at this side of the ocean an eruption of this species is on its way as well. I am looking forward to meet them in the local park.
    Reagrds,
    Sjerp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had a lifer while sitting on my deer stand near Kewaunee...small flock of finch-likes landed on top of spruce tree...got the binocs on them and revealed White-winged crossbills...about 10...15 minutes earlier had let 10-point buck walk 60 feet past me in rut, too cool to kill, will continue my search for an already wounded animal! Peace to all.

    ReplyDelete