11.16.2012

Backyard Bohemian Waxwing!



I wasn't expecting to get a new Dane County bird this morning, but that's exactly what happened just as I was about to head out the door to go to work. The apartment complex where I live has a few berry and crabapple trees in the courtyard. As I walked past my patio window, I could see one of the trees was full of birds, presumably waxwings by their shape, size, and color. Given the irruptive status of Bohemian Waxwings this year, I thought I better make a quick binocular inspection of the flock. As I scanned through them, I found exactly what I was hoping for. I quickly grabbed my spotting scope and camera and headed outside to at least get a documentation photograph of the bird. I only had a few minutes and these were the best I could get in the short time available.



I love it when new birds come to you!

All images © 2012 Mike McDowell