4.22.2014

Second Warbler!


White-throated Sparrow

Despite fairly strong winds out of the north last night, migratory songbirds must have made a little progress because there were new arrivals all over southern Wisconsin today. The creek corridor was alive with the songs of White-throated Sparrows, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and Yellow-rumped Warblers. Finally, a single Pine Warbler upstaged the Yellow-rumps. This is by far the latest in the spring season it's taken for me to tally two warbler species.


Northern Flicker

This Northern Flicker was calling and guarding a nice tree cavity in a Bigtooth Aspen. Actually, I'm fairly certain flickers have used this particular cavity before. I'll be keeping an eye on its progress as the spring season unfolds.


Ruby-crowned Kinglet

While attempting to digiscope Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers (it's extremely difficult, trust me), I got a phone call from Dottie Johnson. She was walking back to her car to leave for work, but I assumed she must have a good sighting to report. As soon as I answered she said the magic words: "Pine Warbler!" I gathered my gear and headed down the trail where she was keeping an eye on the bird. I couldn't go quite as fast as I would have liked because I have a sore achilles tendon. I hobbled past Nolan Pope and told him Dottie found a Pine Warbler. He was thankful that he wouldn't have to drive to the UW Arboretum to see one. Once at the spot, Dottie pointed up to the bird for us. The warbler was fairly high up in the canopy, but I still managed to get a couple of nice photographs of it. Through my spotting scope, I could see the bird was picking off insects on the branches.


Pine Warbler

And this evening there are reports of a Hooded Warbler and Black-and-white Warbler nearby. Let the warbler parade begin!

Pheasant Branch, Dane, US-WI
Apr 22, 2014 6:45 AM - 8:45 AM
44 species

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Wild Turkey
Great Blue Heron
Cooper's Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
House Wren
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

All images © 2014 Mike McDowell