11.21.2014

I just had to go back for it...



A couple of weeks ago I saw this cool steampunk "bird & binocular" piece at the Madison Contemporary Museum of Art. I was downtown for the Saturday evening performance of Sarah Chang playing the Sibelius Violin Concerto with the Madison Symphony Orchestra, so I couldn't conveniently take the piece with me. It's strange when art speaks to you and I kept thinking about it later that night and into the next morning. A bird perched on a binocular ... in steampunk? How cool is that!? The museum opened at noon on Sunday, so I decided to go back for it. Now it's sitting on an end table in my living room. It really suits the Myst-like decor of my apartment.



Incidentally, I had Sarah Chang sign my copy of Bruch & Brahms during the intermission. I was a little starstruck, but she was super cool. It would figure that I listen to classical music, wouldn't it. In almost 10 years of blogging, I don't believe I've ever mentioned it here. The Sibelius Violin Concerto is one of my all-time favorites.

Want a steampunk bird like this? Check out Mullanium!

All images © 2014 Mike McDowell