6.17.2013

Weekend Photography!

"Our job is to record, each in his own way, this world of light and shadow and time that will never come again exactly as it is today."

~ Edward Abbey


Oak savanna at Pheasant Branch Conservancy

I tried my best to capture how beautiful the oak savanna looked surrounded by Spiderwort.


Spiderwort

I love the two dew droplets on the far left hanging from the leaf.


Common Yellowthroat

Dozens of Common Yellowthroats were busy defending territories at the grasslands of Pheasant Branch Conservancy. Having multiple individuals of the same species increases the odds of coming away with good portraits.






Meadow Hawkweed


Clay-colored Sparrow

Buzz-buzz-buzz-buzz!


Indigo Bunting

This Indigo Bunting was dueling in song with another male further down the hill. His plumage is a little mottled and reminds me of the bird I photographed last year at this same spot.




Festive Tiger Beetle

Though I was hoping to see more diversity, Festive and Big Sand were the only two tiger beetle species I observed at Spring Green Preserve on Sunday. Gorgeous wildflowers, including Venus' Looking Glass.




Big Sand Tiger Beetle




Venus' Looking Glass

All images © 2013 Mike McDowell