8.05.2018

Hopper Hunting!

"And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer."

― F. Scott Fitzgerald



Hello August! It's prime insect month and the last whole summer month. But it's also the month when warblers begin to pour back into Wisconsin from Canada on their great journey south. In the meantime, though, it's still bugs bugs bugs! I spent the day searching a few different areas for treehoppers, planthoppers, and leafhoppers and whatever other creepy crawlies I could find.


Sedge Wren

I haven't been to the prairie parcel of Pheasant Branch since sometime in June, but last eBirded it in April. I heard from a few people that a bunch of its trails were closed. Apparently, this was the exciting compromise to protect birds from dogs―simply reduce trail access for everyone! I suppose that's all fine and well for me because, as I often quip, "If a bird so much as toots from 100 yards away, I can tell you which species it is." Unfortunately, that isn't true for other people who like to visit the prairie to observe birds. Thus, it doesn't surprise me that fewer birders are visiting the prairie these days. But I also heard from the restoration crew that fewer people are bringing their dogs there as well. To be sure, fewer dogs and fewer people is a good thing for birds, but I still think this wasn't the best way to deal with the problem of off-leash dogs. Dane County Parks should have respected the recommendation by the Friends of Pheasant Branch to ban dogs.


False Sunflower

Anyway, after warbler migration at the creek corridor, I typically head to the Pheasant Branch's prairie to observe and photograph migratory sparrows. But I skipped it in July, and will probably do the same for August. Sadly, I don't think anyone confirmed whether or not the Henslow's Sparrows successfully fledged young this summer. After a decade of steady eBird reporting at Pheasant Branch, I would like to pass the torch to someone else. I don't take kindly to having my ornithological observations disrespected, which is why Pope Farm Conservancy looks better and better all the time. PFC might not produce Harris's, LeConte's, and Nelson's Sparrows, but at least its stewards respect wildlife and the idea of a nature conservancy.


Buffalo Treehopper


Citrus Flatid Planthopper


Red-banded Leafhopper


Gnat Ogre

I'm contemplating not leading any field trips this late summer and fall with the exception of the September Pope Farm and Spring Green events I've already committed myself to. In fact, I think I might be done with the Open Birding concept altogether. Having said that, I'll probably still lead field trips for Friends of Pope Farm, The Nature Conservancy, and the Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin. So, rather than 6 to 8 field trips per season, it'll probably be more like 2 or 3, and you'll have to ante up your conservation dollars for field trip fees. Reason? I'm tired and I want to spend more time to myself or just with a small number of trusted friends. I will always get a thrill out of my visits with Nature, but in a sense I feel like I've said everything I've wanted to say over the course of the past decade on this blog and elsewhere.


Crab Spider sp. 

All images © 2018 Mike McDowell