9.27.2020

A Hike at the Sink!

"The pond is clear, but it isn't this beyond the sea blue and has never been. The sky is blue, but it isn't this strikingly bright and vivid nor has it ever been. But together, and in each other's company, they are more beautiful than they could ever have been alone."

― Anoma Natasha Paleebut


Shoveler's Sink WPA

Last fall around this time I found two Nelson's Sparrows (Ammospiza nelsoni) at Shoveler's Sink Waterfowl Protection Area, so I thought I'd give it another go. It's a good thing I took the day off Friday because the weather for the remainder of the weekend wasn't all that great for nature photography. All day Friday the skies were clear (a little hazy from the fires out west) ― but an otherwise perfect day for a nature excursion.


Sedge Wren

There's ample suitable habitat for Nelson's Sparrows around the perimeter of the pond ― they seem to have a preference for smartweed as a source of food. There isn't an established path, so the going would be a little tangly and muddy in places. Given the level of curiosity directed at my presence, my guess is these birds probably don't see too many people invading their turf. A slightly concerned Sedge Wren checked me out, yawned, and then just glared at me until I ventured on. 


A yawn and not a vocalization!


Lincoln's Sparrow

A stealthy Lincoln's Sparrow gave my heart a little jolt, thinking it might be a Nelson's. There isn't anything to be disappointed about, though. Lincoln's is still a very smart and nifty looking sparrow. Song Sparrows and Swamp Sparrows were extremely abundant, which always makes sifting through them an even greater challenge ― sort of like a one-eyed cat in a fish market on where to focus my binocular. While Swamp Sparrows aren't quite as shy as Lincoln's, an affable Savannah Sparrow perched on a branch several feet over the swampy vegetation. I know the game, though. I'm not welcomed company in any sense, but an intruder being gauged for threat-level.


Swamp Sparrow


Savannah Sparrow


Eastern Phoebe

While sneaking up on a pair of Solitary Sandpipers, and Eastern Phoebe called and sallied for whatever insects where available. There were a few medium-sized flying insects above the shoreline and I think that's what the phoebe was going after. 


Solitary Sandpiper

Being exceedingly careful probing the tall wetland grasses along the pond's edge, I was cautious not to abruptly introduce my presence to the sandpipers too quickly. Staying low, I elevated my camera just above the grass and avoided making eye-contact with the two birds. 



This is filler text.



Not bad, eh?


New England Aster

My route back to the parking lot was a striking one with a pleasant variety of beautiful fall wildflowers. There were various asters, goldenrods, gentians, and more. I also found several Argiope orb-weaver spiders, but didn't stop to photograph them. But I did stop for a Monarch!




Monarch


Stiff Gentian

I didn't find any Nelson's Sparrows, but it was still a worthwhile and mentally-grounding hike. Work has been extremely busy as of late and an extra day to dilly-dally around with nothing all that pressing to do was perfect medicine. I think next weekend will be another sparrow mission, but I don't think I'll return to Shoveler's Sink again until next year. 

So many places, so little time.



Canada Goose  
Mallard  
Green-winged Teal  
Mourning Dove  
Sora  
Sandhill Crane  
Killdeer  
Least Sandpiper  
Solitary Sandpiper  
Greater Yellowlegs  
Ring-billed Gull  
Turkey Vulture  
Cooper's Hawk  
Red-tailed Hawk  
Belted Kingfisher  
Downy Woodpecker  
Northern Flicker  
Peregrine Falcon  
Eastern Phoebe  
Blue Jay  
American Crow  
Black-capped Chickadee  
Horned Lark  
Tree Swallow  
House Wren  
Sedge Wren  
Marsh Wren  
European Starling  
American Robin  
Cedar Waxwing  
American Goldfinch  
Chipping Sparrow  
Savannah Sparrow  
Song Sparrow  
Lincoln's Sparrow  
Swamp Sparrow  
Bobolink  
Eastern Meadowlark  
Common Yellowthroat  
Yellow-rumped Warbler

All images © 2020 Mike McDowell