9.15.2020

Spring Six-spots!

"Come, little leaves," said the Wind one day, "Come to the meadows with me and play. Put on your dresses of red and gold; For Summer is past, and the days grow cold.”

― George Cooper


Gray-cheeked Thrush

Quick Birding Update:

My birding posse added a few more warbler species to our fall total on Saturday and Sunday. New for this migration: Northern Parula, Blackpoll Warbler, and Mourning Warbler. We also had a Black-throated Warbler, which is always a personal favorite species for me. Saturday's warbler tally was 17, and Sunday's was 15 with fewer overall individuals. Saturday appeared to be a substantial Catharus Thrush push with many Swainson's and some Gray-cheeked. I love the Swainson's diminutive little "boip" whistle that helps you comprehend just how many surround you as you walk through the woods.


Upper Corridor Trail

Well, I didn't take many photographs, but I thought I'd share some nice portraits of Six-spotted Tiger Beetles Cicindela sexguttata I photographed at Pope Farm Conservancy earlier this spring. The rock wall that runs along the main path running up the hill from the parking lot is a great spot for observing and photographing this particular species. These are all the same species, but show significant variability in their maculation spots ― from none to ten! What's in a name, anyway?

















All images © 2020 Mike McDowell