10.18.2020

The Russets of October!

“Is not this a true autumn day? Just the still melancholy that I lovethat makes life and nature harmonise. The birds are consulting about their migrations, the trees are putting on the hectic or the pallid hues of decay, and begin to strew the ground, that one's very footsteps may not disturb the repose of earth and air, while they give us a scent that is a perfect anodyne to the restless spirit. Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."

George Eliot


Pheasant Branch Prairie

We're getting down to the final weeks and days of fall sparrow migration. I have yet to see any American Tree Sparrows, but they'll likely show up in the next few days or so. In with the northwest wind, I observed a substantial influx of Dark-eyed Juncos, White-crowned Sparrows, and Song Sparrows over the weekend, so they can't be too far behind them. During my hike I recalled a late evening when hundreds upon hundreds of sparrows perched facing south with a tailwind beckoning them on. With the sun well below the horizon, they held true for several minutes while calling out to flock-mates. And then all of a sudden, as if a green starting flag was waved, the sparrows began to take flight. Tree by tree, shrub by shrub, the russet-feathered sprites left their perches and let the wind carry them above darkening fields. It's the only time I've ever observed an evening exodus during peak migration. 


White-crowned Sparrow (immature)

But this was morning and the birds were hungry. This is one of the best times to photograph them when there's good light. If they hear you, a few of them will perch up and assess the threat of the intruder (me). When they realize there isn't anything to worry over, they go back to the ground to continue foraging. Ya just gotta love close-up portraits of these boreal denizens!


White-crowned Sparrow (immature)


Fox Sparrow


Dark-eyed Junco

Field Sparrow

For me, the fall birding season is already winding downthe warblers are just about gone, but I did have a couple of Orange-crowneds this morning. We're probably a bit over the hump for sparrow migration, too. Yet it's still two months to the winter solstice and there are things worth waiting for. Northern Shrikes are coming and perhaps owls from the Arctic. At the end of this month there probably won't be as many red and russet highlights on the prairie. Though we've had a few freezes already, it hasn't been enough to kill off all of the insects. I was pleased to see a Cherry-faced Meadowhawk (Sympetrum internum). But tonight it's going to get into the twenties and I think that'll about do it for the remaining insects this fall. Tiger beetle season starts in April!


Common Milkweed


Cherry-faced Meadowhawk


Woolly Bear Caterpillar

With fewer nature-y things to photograph comes the question: Will I continue writing this blog? I am surprised I actually stuck with it from June to the present time with regular posts. But then again there's been stuff to write about and the break made it seem somewhat newno blogligation. I will always enjoy taking nature photographs whether or not I use them for anything. So, let's wait and see.

But don't be surprised if the posts become less frequent. I can definitely see myself taking a long break during winter, but this time around I feel like there's more reason to return with the coming spring. I doubt there will be a 550 days like I did last time. With so many changes occurring during the past few years, I needed time away to evaluate what it means to be a birder. 

In case you're wondering, Máistir Nádúraí translates from Irish to English as Master of Nature. After observing, studying, and documenting Nature via this blog the past 15 years (and decades prior), I think I've probably earned some kind of title, right? I felt it necessary to differentiate from whatever it is that $275.00 and hours of servitude gets you. 



All images © 2020 Mike McDowell