11.18.2020

Red Phalarope!

Dane County Life Bird! Red Phalarope (Phalaropus fulicarius), discovered reported on the 16th by area birder Neil Gilbert. It was still present at Warner Park Beach today, so I got to go see and photograph it. It's county bird somewhere around 295, I'm not sure because I've been pretty lax about tracking my county records. Anyway, the last time I observed this species was 15 years ago at North Point, Milwaukee. Apparently, this species was last recorded in Dane County in 1935. The previous (and first-ever) record was in 1899 by―and get this―Neil Gilbert.

ADDENDUM: Awww! The "Gilbert Factor" was indeed too good to be true. I just saw on eBird that the Red Phalarope was first found by Tim Van Deelen, who emailed Neil Gilbert a photograph of the discovery. The story was reported to me incorrectly.
All images © 2020 Mike McDowell