1.19.2021

Jam Night

Last year I purchased a bunch of new musical gear: a Fender Stratocaster Ultra Electric Guitar, Boss Katana Mark II Amplifer, Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Pedal, and a Walrus Audio Slö Multi-Texture Reverb Pedal. I still have my 1994 Stratocaster, but my Fender amplifier died many years ago and never bothered to get it fixed. My first Stratocaster was a 1988 American Standard. I don't have that one any longer and sold a couple of other guitars along the way. I have an ancient Ibanez effects board that still works, but the Boss Katana has much better onboard effects. 

My style of play is influenced by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix. I'm self-taught and I can run pentatonic blues scales until the cows come home. I prefer to solo in E, but also rock to G, D, and A. I like heavy but clean distortion and reverb with medium delay. There's a wide variety of jam tracks available online, though sometimes I just dabble with effects and see what kind of interesting sounds I can make. 

I've been practicing more regularly and my dexterity and accuracy have dramatically improved over the past several months. Though I used to gig around Madison in the early 1990s, playing live isn't in the cards ― no thanks. For me it's just something I enjoy doing to decompress and relax to. I don't have suitable gear to record with, but at some point I'll probably add that to my arsenal of stuff.
All images © 2021 Mike McDowell