5.13.2021

The Woods

"I found far more answers in the woods than I ever did in the city." 

― Mary Davis
With winds finally coming out of the south for favorable migration, things have really picked up the past couple of days. Yesterday I found my third Prothonotary Warbler of spring, and this morning a gorgeous male Black-throated Blue Warbler ― my favorite bird. Also new for me were Bay-breasted Warbler and Canada Warbler. When early morning birding was still a little on the slow side, I used my smart phone to photograph some of my favorite spots around Pheasant Branch's creek corridor. You probably can see why this location attracts so many migratory songbirds ― there's water, cover, and plenty of insects to eat. My favorite time to arrive is just as the sun is coming up through the trees and the avian chorus begins its morning crescendo. 
All images © 2021 Mike McDowell