8.27.2021

The Black Stratocaster

I'm having the above Stratocaster built for me by the Fender Mod Shop. I wanted one that was similar in appearance to the guitar David Gilmour used for The Wall concerts — the same one that was auctioned a few years ago for almost $4 million. Gilmour's strat was a 1969 model with a maple neck that he eventually replaced with rosewood. Also, his originally sported a white pickguard, but went with black in the 1970s (pictured below). However, he would alternate necks, pickguards, and pickups over the years. There were other interesting modifications made to it which you can read about here. I'm pretty sure his always had white pickups, but I decided to go with Fender's black Generation 4 Noiseless. These are the same pickups on my Stratocaster Ultra and I quite like them. I also went with black volume and tone knobs instead of white.
Fender actually made a Gilmour Signature Black Stratocaster which sold for around $4,000, last produced in 2019 (I think). You can find them for sale on the Internet, but the lowest I've seen them priced now is around $10,000. Uh, yeah. Well, that's just a bit too steep for me and my build isn't going to cost nearly as much. Still, it'll be a very lovely guitar to play and have on display in my collection.
I used to be quite the Floydian and I've seen Gilmour's Pink Floyd in concert three times. My playing style is an imitation of his brand of psychedelic rock based on blues pentatonic scales. I actually gigged in Madison during the early 1990s, but I'm not interested in doing that again. Instead, I enjoy finding fun tracks to play along with on YouTube. I have a fairly large library of them stored in my favorites, so there's a variety of stuff to choose from depending on my playing mood. Sadly, I don't really have decent recording equipment, so I'll likely not share any samples at this juncture.

Here's a quick metally blues run to give you some idea, though ...