8.01.2021

The Shoreline

"Like the sand of the earth, your gifts are countless, and some are stepping on theirs without knowing."

― Michael Bassey 
This is a view of the habitat that borders the beach at the Sauk City Canoe Launch along the Wisconsin River. Wildfires in Canada and the western United States have rendered hazy conditions for the past several weeks. I am not a fan, but it could be far worse. While I prefer using natural light from the sun for my photography, the opaque skies somewhat diminish my efforts ― it's a softer look that isn't too bad, but I would like another crack at a Shoreline Wolf Spider Arctosa littoralis as large as this one under better light. I didn't make the best lens choice (10-30mm) and there's more field curvature than I would have liked. Still, what an amazing little monster ― I hope I can find another one as large as this one, which was the largest I've seen to date. 
This is the same species, but a far smaller one. So, I switched back to my 60mm macro lens:
The Wisconsin River's water level is a little high at the moment so there isn't as much shoreline tiger beetle habitat as there has been in the past. It's been better, and it's been worse. Back when I first discovered Sandy Stream Tiger Beetles at this location during the summer of 2015, there were many sandbars which was great habitat for this species. Sadly, there haven't been as many the past few years. In fact, on this particular outing this was just this one individual. What I should do is buy myself a canoe or kayak so I can reach shorelines along other parts of the river. 

There good numbers of Bronzed Tiger Beetles, but still not as many as I've seen at this location past summers. Again, restricted habitat size is the likely cause. Alas, I was unable to locate a Hairy-necked Tiger Beetle, which is probably a species I'll miss for my tiger beetle-ing year. 
Uh oh ... look for yellow foliage highlights!
This time of year Spotted Beebalm or Dotted Horsemint Monarda punctata covers a good share of the landscape just beyond the shoreline. Such a peculiar looking plant ― it reminds me of something Carmen Miranda might wear atop her head. Swedish taxonomist Carl Linnaeus named the genus Monarda in honor of 16th century Spanish physician and botanist, Nicolas Bautista Monardes (1493-1588). Monardes never traveled to the Americas, but studied medicinal plants in Spain.
I bring additional evidence for the long goodbye. Before leaving the Sauk area, I checked the nearby sandlot where I have observed 7 tiger beetle species over the past few years, including Ghost. Sadly, the entire lot was recently sprayed with a pesticide that killed all the vegetation. As I suspected years ago, the property is slated for a housing development. There's a sign at the corner advertising that the 9-acre parcel is available for purchase. Oh, if I had the money I would scoop it up and make my own tiger beetle sanctuary. There appears to be nothing living there now. A lone Dickcissel sang from a dead branch at the adjacent agricultural field. You'll have to get your grasshoppers elsewhere, buddy!
This is a Silver-bordered Fritillary Boloria selene
Allegheny Monkey Flower Mimulus ringens and Common Foxglove Agalinis tenuifolia. I should say I think that's what it is, however I'm not entire sure that it isn't Agalinis gattingeri. Now I feel like a neophyte for not photographing the entire plant. Sylvia will know. Addendum: She concurred with the two possibilities I listed, but that I should have photographed more of the plant ― student fail!
Oh dear ...
Shorebirds. Winter's coming
All images © 2021 Mike McDowell