12.18.2021

Gibraltar Rock!

"Hiking is not escapism; it’s realism. The people who choose to spend time outdoors are not running away from anything; we are returning to where we belong."

― Jennifer Pharr Davis
Another excursion to find a Townsend's Solitaire ... and another dip! One was found at Gibraltar Rock State Natural Area early December, but I didn't find one a week after the report. It's a large area and it was extremely windy, so it's always possible the bird was hunkered down somewhere I didn't check. It was still a very enjoyable time spent outdoors in fantastic scenery. 
Though I don't visit this particular natural area very often (I should during spring), it is one of the most scenic spots I know of in the southern half of Wisconsin. There were some birds present, which included Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmouse, Brown Creeper, White-breasted Nuthatches, and Red-breasted Nuthatches. There were also a few raptors riding the strong gusts: American Kestrels, Red-tailed Hawks, a lone Cooper's Hawk, and a few adult Bald Eagles. The Red-breasted Nuthatches were not thrilled when the Cooper's flew through and began emphatically broadcasting alert calls ― the very rapid form of yenk-yenk-yenk-yenk.
Whether I'm hiking Devil's Lake or other locales in southern Wisconsin, I often come upon trail markers for the Ice Age National Scene Trail bearing a Woolly Mammoth ― I have yet to see one in the wild. Certainly, there's a connection between mammoths and the ice age, but I don't know the story why it was chosen as the marker for its 1,200 miles of trails. But who knows? Certain loopy scientists want to bring back  mammoths using genomic biotechnology, so perhaps the notion isn't too far fetched! Do I think it's a good idea? Nope ― I do not. Regardless of the cause of their extinction, the costs and efforts associated with this endeavor best be directed at conserving and protecting what we have left. 
Beyond a doubt, this modest snow covering melted away just a few days after my visit ― midweek we had temperatures almost reaching the 70s, shattering Wisconsin's previous December record high. And just a few days after that the seasonably cold weather returned. But there's no snow on the ground. I have a craving to do some snowshoeing after a mighty blizzard, especially if I can be first on the trail in the virgin snow.

There hasn't been much to blog about lately, but I hope you've enjoyed the Beach House songs. I have tickets to see them in February, but I have a feeling it'll end up getting canceled on account of the Omicron variant hitting the states right now. I am working on a 2021 Tiger Beetle Season blog and I'll probably do an end of year recap as well. And then it starts again with outdoor adventures for a fresh year. This blog celebrates its anniversary in February ― 17 years. There was the 350-day blogging break, though. Coming back to it felt like a burst of creativity, so perhaps taking an extended break now and then would be a good idea. 
All images © 2021 Mike McDowell