5.21.2022

Reunited!

"A guitar is more than just a sound box ― it is part of your soul."

― Manuel Velazquez
Well, there they are. All fourteen of my Fender Stratocasters have been reunited after the EOB Sustainer Strat had to have a pickup replaced ― it took nearly 3 months to get the part from Fender. Dave's Guitar Shop of Fitchburg did the installation for me, as I'm not experienced enough to be trusted with that sort of intricate work. I had them keep the guitar at their shop in the meanwhile, so this is the first time they've been photographed together. 

Most of the funds used to purchase these instruments came from a Money Market Account I setup after my divorce back in 2009 ― my share of the house equity.  Honestly, it was just a glorified savings account and I probably should have invested the money more wisely. Having said that, the collection has already gone up in value (unrealized) by about $2,200.00 since I began this effort. Though I have played all of them, there are some I no longer do so as not to damage them: #1, #11, and #12 (see key below). Over time, I expect those particular guitars to go up in value more so than the others. 

To be sure, guitars are meant to be played and I do enjoy playing the American Professional II Roasted Pine (#10), my MOD Shop HSS (#5), and my EOB Strat (#2). The Black Strat (#6) will always be a special guitar, but for tone and action I prefer my MOD Shop HSS (#5). There several guitars I don't play but are on display in my apartment, like my 1994 American Standard (#13), which was a birthday present from my ex-wife back in the day. I keep several guitars in my Man Cave ® right next to my desk so I can just plug'm in whenever I feel like playing. 

I can't be trusted to say my collection is complete because I've already said it several times and I ultimately end up making another purchase. At the present time I don't have one I'm seriously considering, but I wouldn't mind having a Robin Trower Custom Shop Stratocaster. Another I greatly admire is the Mary Kaye 1957 Stratocaster, also made by Fender's Custom Shop ― what a sharp guitar with the gold hardware and vintage blonde color.

In the middle you can see several books about Fender I've read. The history of the company is extraordinary, and if you love guitars as much as I do, you might want to check out this video of a tour at the Corona Facility that was made a few years ago. I was impressed that some of the tooling and machines that were used in the 50s and 60s are still in use today.
  1. American Original 50s White Blonde
  2. Ed O'Brien Sustainer Vintage Blonde
  3. American Ultra HSS Arctic Pearl
  4. US Stratocaster MOD Shop Inca Silver
  5. US Stratocaster MOD Shop HSS Bordeaux Metallic
  6. US Stratocaster MOD Shop Satin Black
  7. Professional Series II Dark Night
  8. 75th Anniversary Edition Bourbon Burst
  9. American Ultra Mocha Burst
  10. Professional Series II Roasted Pine
  11. Eric Johnson Signature Lucerne Aqua Firemist
  12. 1963 NOS Custom Shop Red Sparkle
  13. American Standard Crimson Burst
  14. American Performer Walnut 
All images © 2022 Mike McDowell