5.12.2022

Warbler Parade!

I've observed 31 of the 32 wood warbler species recorded at Pheasant Branch creek corridor so far this spring. There's a good chance of Connecticut being a little early, so that'll likely be the next one observed. There was a Yellow-throated Warbler found at the corridor last week, but I was at work. Perhaps this will be a repeat of 2020 when Dottie Johnson and I got to see all 37 expected warblers in Wisconsin. If I'm honest, I think the creek corridor is best place to find spring warblers in the entire state. In fact, I bumped into a couple today that came all the way from Colorado just to bird it. To be sure, the place gets a little crowded at times, but I'm grateful that so many Dane County birders go elsewhere to pad their lists. Charles Naeseth and I agree that we're past migration's peak, so site concentration will take precedence in the coming weeks, mainly for insects.