6.12.2022

A Different Ghost!

"Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature―the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter."

― Rachel Carson

"I like this place and could willingly waste my time in it."

― William Shakespeare
Wisconsin was under clouds most of the weekend, until about 2:00pm today. I didn't really have any definitive plans, but I thought I would at least get in a little tiger beetle hunting ― perhaps an early Ghost or Hairy-necked at Sauk. I can only be cooped up for so long, so I was grateful for a break in the clouds. Using GOES-East to spy on cloud cover, I timed the clearing skies perfectly so that conditions would be excellent for tiger beetles upon arrival at Sauk Prairie Recreational Area SNA.
Festive Tiger Beetles outnumbered everything. There were several Oblique-lined and just a couple Big Sand. Alas, no Ghost Tiger Beetles were observed, but I predict they'll emerge next weekend once the temperatures soar back into the 80s. After scoring Boreal Long-lipped, people asked what I'll do ― well, obviously keep photographing tiger beetles, as practice makes perfect. 

Ah! An Oblique-lined ...
Going in for the coveted side-view ...
And the low-angle stilting/sun-facing pose ― that's the shot I'm after ...
And some nifty Festive portraits ...
I could do this all day. Wait ... sometimes I do!

And then this happened ...
I wasn't expecting that! It was interesting how we all seemed to notice one another at the same time. They started out just slowly walking across the clearing. Approaching a tiger beetle, I noticed something light-colored in my peripheral vision. Instead of going for the beetle, I brought my camera around to photograph the deer ― they paused, looked my way, and then took off running. 
To me June seems like it should be a month of rest. Frenetic spring migration is over; birds are on territory, but now the purpose and meaning of their journey is realized ― there's much work to be done. The Summer Solstice nears and birds do take note to changes in the photoperiod. Young are fed, raised, and fledged. Certain shorebirds near the Arctic Circle will be among the first to notice and then zugunruhe (restlessness) begins. They'll reach Wisconsin sometime in July. 

That's right ... 

Fall migration is just around the corner. 

 

All images © 2022 Mike McDowell