7.24.2022

Bug Bonanza!

“I think we are just insects, we live a bit and then die and that’s the lot. There’s no mercy in things. There’s not even a Great Beyond. There’s nothing.”

― John Fowles
Back to the beach! I decided I didn't want to be left out of Lori Widmann's lifer quest for Hairy-necked Tiger Beetle on Thursday and tagged along with her, Mark Johnson, and Lester Doyle ― nearly the Long-lipped crew sans John Dixon. We also planned to search for Virginia Metallic Tiger Beetles at Spring Green Preserve. With success, Lori would be just one species away from venerable 16 Club. 
Upon arrival to the river's edge, I found a pair of Least Sandpipers ― veritable fall migrants heading back south from Northern Canada. But it's too early to get back into birds just yet, as there is still ample time for insecting and much left to see and do.
Once I got to the tiger beetle spot I realized there were even more Hairy-necked Tiger Beetles on the beach than my previous visit. An easy lifer for Lori, I thought. But photographing them? Now there's the challenge. In my experience, this species is perhaps the fastest, most skittish, and most difficult to photograph apart from Twelve-spotted. 
Chewing ...
I've been informed that this Hairy-necked is still teneral ― recently molted and yet to completely harden and obtain its final coloration. I've not independently verified that's what's actually occurring with these color variations, but it could very well be. When I first spotted this beetle naked-eye, I couldn't tell that it had any maculations at all.
Next stop ― Spring Green Preserve! Home of tiger beetles, robber flies, and a whole host of astonishing insects, wildflowers, and other wild critters. Lori had never been to this State Natural Area and she picked up a few lifers, including Regal Fritillary. 
This Robber Fly is Proctacanthella cacopiliga, often found in sand blow-outs. An agile hunter on the wing, if you look carefully it's sucking the life out of a small leafhopper, Stirellus bicolor
We eventually found a few Virginia Metallic Tiger Beetles, putting my annual species count at 14. Incidentally, this is the location where Lori will earn her 16th ― atop the bluff in late August, Splendid Tiger Beetle awaits. You've read the story here before. 
Lori had to get back to Stratford and Mark had a work meeting he needed to attend. That left Lester and I to explore Spring Green Preserve's West Unit, and boy were we ever glad we did. 
Lester saw it first, and we confirmed the ID almost simultaneously. Initially we both thought it was a Six-spotted on account of the flash of green and the habitat: spotty tree-shade on a sandy trail. But the large and obvious maculations were visible through binoculars ― Northern Barrens! This was actually the first time I've observed this species outside of Necedah NWR, so that could save a trip up north at that tick-infested location.
This one is ovipositing, and that means more!
Along the trail we also found dozens of Punctured Tiger Beetles ― definitely suitable habitat for them, too. Big Sand Tiger Beetles were found in some of the sandier areas, but in low numbers. 
That's the caterpillar of a Silver-spotted Skipper. 
I also got in some treehopper time this weekend at the Pheasant Branch Creek Corridor. Present were Buffalo Treehopper, Black Locust Treehopper, and Locust Treehopper. Note how tiny the Black Locust Treehopper are ― that's a Black Ant tending to one. The treehoppers secrete what ants consider to be sugary honeydew nourishment. 
Here's an Olive-shaded Bird Dropping Moth, Ponometia candefacta ...
Under miscellaneous, last week I found a Pandora Sphinx Moth on our building at Vortex Optics. Oddly enough, I tend to find their caterpillars more often than I do the actual moth. Here are two photos, one green and the other orange. Note the interesting variation of spot coloration as well. I've read that the caterpillar also takes on a yellow form. Why? I've yet to find out.
All images © 2022 Mike McDowell