9.24.2022

Birds in Art!

"And then I have nature and art and poetry, and if that is not enough, what is enough?"

― Vincent Willem van Gogh
As per usual, the weekend weather is crappy ... I still feel crappy (lingering chest cold). And I don't have any new outdoor excursion blog material to post. So, how about some bird art I have acquired over the years? It might surprise you that I am not much for printing and displaying my own photography. I have many more unframed prints not shown here, but these are some of the ones on display. First off is the late Charley Harper's Mystery of the Missing Migrants, which I purchased online from his studio website. You can view a large image of the print from the website by clicking here. You've probably encountered his work on cards, calendars, puzzles, coffee mugs, and more. 
Lori Widmann gave me this print from the 1956 European field guide Handbuch der Vögel Mitteleuropas. I can't quite make out the artist's name. There were several illustrators involved in the guide and while I found most of their names, I haven't been able to match it up. 
These are a couple of Snowy Owl prints by Catherine Hamilton ― both are 15/50. Several of these were given to Eagle Optics employees many years ago. It's nice to have connections!
This is a Buff-breasted Sandpiper given to Eagle Optics in 2006 from Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences. It used to be on the wall at work, but I asked the Hamiltons if I could have it, and they kindly obliged. I must say I think it looks far better in my apartment.
This is the official 2001 Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival poster ― I was there! In fact, it was my first trip to the valley and I think I scored something like ~60 life birds. I went with Marty Chy, former manager at Eagle Optics, and we visited places like Laguna Atascosa NWR, Santa Ana NWR, Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley SP, Sabal Palm Bird Sanctuary, Salineño Wildlife Preserve, and more. I believe the Least Grebe artist is Gerald Sneed.
This Altamira Oriole print is also one of Gerald Sneed's. In fact, he was in a nearby booth and handed to me as we were packing up at the end of the 2001 RGV Birding Festival ― how kind! 
Another Eagle Optics gift, I don't recall how I came across this Black Phoebe print. Artist only indicates "Cope..."
These two painted carvings (Kentucky Warbler above, Black-throated Blue Warbler below) were made by Lori Widmann's father, Richard Guenther. Richard is a kind and generous person as he not only made these free for me, but also made Sylvia a Red-breasted Nuthatch and Dottie got a Hooded Warbler. He's certainly talented enough to sell his work, but it's a hobby that keeps him busy and his mind off the stresses of modern life. 
This next one is a Swarovski Crystal hummingbird given to me by Swarovski Optik as an appreciation gift. Oh, I sold a ton of their optics during my stint at Eagle Optics. 
Though not a bird, this Six-spotted Tiger Beetle was painted by Susan Ulschmip, a friend and local artist who really should have a website to advertise her work. Painted from one of my photographs.

 

That's it! I hope you enjoyed this tour of some of my bird art. I doubt I'll be doing much nature photography this weekend ― there's supposed to be some sunshine tomorrow, but my energy level is pretty low. 

All images © 2022 Mike McDowell