10.19.2022

Sweet 16!

"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."

― Thom Yorke
So there I was checking my email, minding my own business, when I received a missive from Fender that an entire new lineup of guitars were about to be released ― the American Vintage II Series. The eye-popping new collection includes Stratocasters, Telecasters, Jazzmasters, Jazz Bass, and Precision Bass; 50s, 60s, and 70s models. Naturally, the new Strats captured my attention, especially the features of the 1973:

  • Ash Body
  • Gloss Polyurethane Finish
  • Pure Vintage '73 Single-Coil Strat® pickups
  • “C”-Shaped Neck Profile
  • Pure Vintage Synchronized Tremolo with Bent Steel Saddles
  • Pure Vintage Single-Line “Fender Deluxe” Tuners

And Fender's writeup:

The American Vintage II 1973 Stratocaster® exudes the spirit of the era and is outfitted with a trio of Pure Vintage '73 staggered pole pickups, a large headstock with dual string trees, a convenient “Bullet” style truss rod nut and a three-bolt neck plate with Micro-Tilt™ mechanism. The “C”-shape maple neck plays like a dream with a 7.25” radius rosewood or maple fingerboard and vintage tall frets. The guitar is offered in three classic colors over ash: Aged Natural, Lake Placid Blue and Mocha, the latter being the first custom color ever to feature a black pickguard on a Strat®. Additional features include vintage-style “F” stamped tuners and a synchronized tremolo with bent steel saddles and cold rolled steel block.

How could I pass this up?
Sweetwater.com had 4 Mocha models in stock and I chose this one for its well-matched woodgrain body pattern. I'll likely change out the strings to lighter gauge D'Addarios, as I can't bend the heavier ones quite as effectively to my playing style.


CBS Era headstocks seem a little gaudy to me, but I think its larger size balances out the guitar better. Of several changes made to the Stratocaster, CBS also enlarged the "Stratocaster" logo to make sure people could see it. Overall I prefer pre-CBS headstocks logos for their more diminutive and classier look, but this is a fairly authentic reproduction of a 1973 Stratocaster. I noticed some reviewers were dismayed by the C-neck profile instead of the era correct U-neck — a minor gripe, really. 

 

Two string trees and a macro shot reveals a somewhat sloppy glue job on the right one, but it's barely noticeable naked-eye. Perhaps I'll try to clean it up. 
The aforementioned “Bullet” style truss rod nut:
Much has been written about the design of the Stratocaster's original contour body ― an emulation of the automobile shapes of the era and also a woman's body. In truth, the design was intended to make a solid-body electric guitar more comfortable and easier to play, a matter of form following function. 
Tuners with the “F” stamped logo:
The three-bolt neck plate with Micro-Tilt™ mechanism:
A single string saddle close-up — another reviewer complained these ones aren't technically era-correct. I believe it's the bent design that's anachronistic:
The bridge:
21 frets:
What a gorgeous guitar. Some may ask "Why, Mike, why?" All I can say is "Why not?" I have all the optics and cameras I require (my binocular collection is even more embarrassing). My RAV4 is almost paid off and have no other debt. Wait a sec ... why the hell am I justifying this purchase? It's all good! Though I have 3 Stratocasters I've stored away as investment guitars, this one will be played and loved.
Most images © 2022 Mike McDowell