12.04.2022

December Arrives!

"When I was fifteen, all I wanted was to go off to some other world, a place beyond anybody’s reach. A place beyond the flow of time. But there’s no place like that in this world. Exactly. Which is why I’m living here, in this world where things are continually damaged, where the heart is fickle, where time flows past without a break."

― Haruki Murakami
The Connecticut Warbler post sure got a lot of views! Perhaps I ruffled a few feathers?

Anyway ...

I went for a hike at the prairie parcel of Pheasant Branch this morning. I've not visited it since sometime in October, but it was pleasant weather to see what the birds were up to. Expectations were low and I didn't encounter anything out of the ordinary ― including a few off-leash dogs. Oh, we've been down this road so many times before, but it's hard to forget the betrayal of Dane County Parks. "I've lived next to the conservancy for over a decade and I've never seen a dog off its leash there!" she said. Have you ever looked out your window ma'am? 
American Tree are the dominant winter sparrows at the prairie from late fall until their chippy cousins return from the south come spring. There's a bit of overlap for a time, until the tree sparrows return to their breeding territories in northern Canada. For now their vocalizations are limited to alert calls and we won't hear their spritely teedle teedle calls and occasional song until March. Aye, it's going to be a long winter. But they're always long winters here in Wisconsin. 
They do make fine avian portraiture subjects. Overall it was a quiet day ― also present were Dark-eyed Juncos, House Finches, American Goldfinches, Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, American Crows, Sandhill Cranes, Canada Geese, a lone Bald Eagle, and a Red-tailed Hawk. 
Weird, eh? 

That was my actual orientation looking up into the tree, though it appears upside-down. 
There were also a few lingering White-crowned Sparrows ...
Some first-year birds and adults. 
Lots of amazing sunrises and sunsets this time of year ...
I'm not bored of birding per se, but I don't see myself going out much more this year. For the remainder of this month I'll probably do a post about the year in tiger beetles, my favorite personal photographs of the year, and whatever else I can think up I think might be worth posting. It's the slow season. As such, I think about the future of this blog and how much longer I'll post stuff. The 550-day break for all of 2019 and part of 2020 was a good thing and gave me time to reflect, redirect, and come back with a fresh perspective. Come February this blog will celebrate its 18th year ... holy smokes! 

Still, I'd rather be insecting. 

Well, there are arthropods indoors!
Your little friends that stay with you throughout winter.
Cellar Spiders! Perhaps I'll try to get better photographs of them at some point this winter. 
In the Guitar Department ...

Or perhaps a Jazzmaster in that same color-combo?
Hmm ... Actually, it's on the way. :)
All images © 2022 Mike McDowell