3.24.2024

Late March Birding!

"What it is ... is a place where I can return to myself. It's enough of a scramble to get to that the energy expended is significant, and it translates into a change in my body chemistry and my psychological chemistry and my heart chemistry."

― Anonymous
Despite the return of wintery weather, I ventured out anyway after my temperature gripe. March snowfalls are not uncommon in Wisconsin, so I wasn't entirely surprised. My destination was the Pheasant Branch Creek Corridor, where I hoped to spot some early spring migratory songbirds. Although I've visited this area several times this year already, I hadn't come across any Baeolophus bicolor, which is rather unusual for this location. It wasn't until I reached the last bridge north of Century Avenue that I finally spotted a pair of them, a male and female foraging together. 
Where have ya been?

I also found a single Regulus satrapa just before the Century Avenue bridge, which was my first for the year. I noticed a slight uptick in Passerella iliaca, which were cheerfully singing away near the Conservancy Condos. Overall, it was largely residents and expected species. 
While not exactly a welcome sight, the snowfall did create a picturesque scene. It's not uncommon to experience snow like this in April, and occasionally even in early May. However, the recent snow has almost completely melted away, thanks to temperatures climbing into the mid to upper 30s. The stillness of the day, with virtually no wind, allowed me to hear even the most subtle bird calls from quite a distance. I'm grateful that my hearing is still sharp at my age.
Melospiza melodia were everywhere ...
On my way back to the trailhead, I reflected on the beauty of nature's simplicity. The return of snow, though not unexpected, transformed the landscape into a winter wonderland. It served as a reminder of nature's ability to enchant us, even in the coldest months. As I've done hundreds of times, leaving the Pheasant Branch Creek Corridor, I carried with me a sense of calm and admiration for the natural world's ever-changing beauty.
Pheasant Branch Creek Corridor
Dane County, Wisconsin
March 23rd, 2024 
34 Species

Branta canadensis
Anas platyrhynchos
Meleagris gallopavo
Zenaida macroura
Antigone canadensis
Haliaeetus leucocephalus
Buteo jamaicensis
Bubo virginianus
Melanerpes carolinus
Dryobates pubescens
Dryobates villosus
Colaptes auratus
Cyanocitta cristata
Corvus brachyrhynchos
Poecile atricapillus
Baeolophus bicolor
Regulus satrapa
Sitta carolinensis
Certhia americana
Thryothorus ludovicianus
Sturnus vulgaris
Turdus migratorius
Bombycilla cedrorum
Passer domesticus
Haemorhous mexicanus
Spinus tristis
Passerella iliaca
Junco hyemalis
Zonotrichia albicollis
Melospiza melodia
Agelaius phoeniceus
Molothrus ater
Quiscalus quiscula
Cardinalis cardinalis

Ya gotta love those unoffensive Latin names!

All images © 2024 Mike McDowell