7.08.2024

More Treehoppers!

"It's the little things, I expect. Little treasures we find without knowing their origin. And they come when we least expect them. It's beautiful, when you think about it."

― T.J. Klune
If you found my website after Catherine Jagoe's book reading, welcome aboard! I've been writing this blog for almost two decades. What you'll find here is mostly photography, stories, and descriptions of my excursions in Nature, but punctuated with the occasional rant about one thing or another. 

What we have here today is the Locust Treehopper Thelia bimaculata, and I was somewhat surprised to find them over the weekend at Deer Creek. I generally considered these late summer insects only because that's about the time I start looking for hoppers. So, I don't think they're early — they've probably always been out in July and I simply wasn't looking for them. For some unknown reason, I decided to check a patch of Locust Trees just out of curiosity. 

And there they were ...
A male above, and a female below ...
Being thorn mimics, the females can be trickier to find compared to the vibrant males.
See that little glistening ball of honeydew in the above photo? The hopper's excrement is loaded with various sugars, amino acids, salt, and other organic compounds — and ants just love it. One ant came by and quickly drew it in, while the one below waits for the next droplet. Perhaps one day I'll get a shot of an ant in the act, but it happens very quickly so it remains a challenge I'll accept for another outing.
Just before release, the hopper lifts up its armored helmet (pronotum) which signals ants that a meal is on the way. This relationship is a clear example of mutualism, where both species benefit. The treehoppers enjoy increased survival rates due to the protection offered by ants, while ants gain a reliable and nutritious food source. This mutualistic interaction can influence the distribution and population dynamics of both ants and treehoppers, as ants' protection allows treehoppers to feed more extensively on plants.
I spotted more males than females, but as I mentioned they're easier to find along the branches on account of their coloration. Sometimes they'll cluster in groups as many as six or more individuals by my observations, but here are two feeding next to one another.
Not far from the Locust Trees is a little path where I found a few Punctured Tiger Beetles ...
Note the subtle maculations on this next one, which the above one lacks ...
Bergamot is blooming ...
Crab Spiders are patrolling flower petals ...
And Spittlebugs hide ...
And I find them!
Their breeding season doesn't last long, so I thought I would check in on the Ghost Tiger Beetles at Sauk Prairie State Recreational Area one more time this summer. That spot right there in the photograph is where they call home. 
The late afternoon lighting was better for photographing these nifty beetles that blend so well with their sandy surroundings. So easily looked over, so much fun to spend time with.
The above ghostie is missing an antenna, most likely from another insect that grabbed ahold of it and wouldn't let go. It isn't a mortal injury, but antennae help tiger beetles navigate their environment by detecting chemical cues and physical obstacles. With one antenna missing, the beetle's ability to accurately sense its surroundings and navigate effectively might be a bit impaired.
As their season draws to a close, I bid my ghost pals a fond farewell until the summer of 2025. While they may not be my actual friends, these tiny creatures bring me a unique joy and excitement. Goodbye for now, little specters; I'll be eagerly awaiting your emergence in a year's time.
All images © 2024 Mike McDowell