2.15.2015

GBBC Results!


Cedar Waxwing

Here are my results from a few hours of backyard birding this morning. Given the extremely cold weather, I was glad to bird from inside. I think the highlight was the large flock of Cedar Waxwings feeding on the crabapple tree in the courtyard. I made sure there wasn't a Bohemian among them, as happened a few years ago. As far as Pheasant Branch goes, there really isn't much changing right now. If I had gone to the conservancy I probably could have added another 10 to 15 species. I'm sure there were one or two c̶r̶a̶z̶y̶  intrepid birders out there counting them, though. For me it was a good day to lounge around in my PJs, catch up on some reading, watch the Badgers beat Illinois, and do household chores. Back to work tomorrow!

Great Backyard Bird Count
Feb 15, 2015 7:30 AM - 9:30 AM
16 species

Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  4
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
European Starling  7
Cedar Waxwing  42
Dark-eyed Junco  5
Northern Cardinal  3
House Finch  6
Pine Siskin  6
American Goldfinch  8
House Sparrow  12

Cedar Waxwing © 2015 Mike McDowell