1.18.2022

Location!

"I find places like this so packed with memories. Visiting them can be like opening a memory jar. You take off the lid and the smells and sounds of a place hit you, unlocking things folded away deep in your brain."

― Sophie Cousens
We're very fortunate in southern Wisconsin to have many great access points and natural areas for tiger beetle diversity. In fact, 13 of Wisconsin's 16 tiger beetle species can be found within an hour of Madison. Beyond any question, Spring Green Preserve is the best location for tiger beetles in our state. A close second is the Sauk City Canoe Launch, which used to include a nearby sandlot. Alas, the sandlot is being converted to a housing development, so I'm no longer going to count that data or visit it ― sad to see it go. 

Here's how the mapped locations breakdown in terms of species:


Regular readers here know Spring Green Preserve is host to other unique flora and fauna not commonly found in Wisconsin. I just recently learned of its 2017 Northern Barrens report ― my 'go-to' location is Necedah NWR, which is not included in the above map as it's a bit further north. The Nature Conservancy has given me permission to search the sand blows at Spring Green for Ghost, but I've yet to find them there. Sandy Stream at Spring Green? That seems unlikely on account of their shoreline habitat preference, but the Wisconsin River isn't too far away ― just two miles as the beetle flies. It's possible!

Tiger beetles are known to utilize at least 17 different habitat types. Because they're a type of indicator species, the greater their diversity the more it says something about the location's environmental and ecological quality. Thus, Spring Green! Sauk Recreational Area has become a favorite tiger beetle haunt on account of its abundant Ghost Tiger Beetle population and some of the most stunning Festive Tiger Beetles I've ever encountered. 


A few locations on my map are notable not so much for their beetle diversity but either close proximity to where I live or suitability for photography. For example, the long rock wall at Pope Farm Conservancy in the Town of Middleton is the best location for photographing Six-spotted Tiger Beetles I know of, and it's practically in my backyard. There are likely Punctured, but I've yet to see them there.


Winnequah Gun Club is an interesting location for these fierce little insects. Naturally, there's a lot of sandy areas between shooting berms and tiger beetles galore. Lester Doyle mentioned finding Ghost and Big Sand there some years back. My colleague Ryan Muckenhirn and I went there one time to practice pistol shooting, and while there we looked for tiger beetles. From the few times I've been there I've recorded five species, but there's undoubtedly more. A nice thing about this location is it's unlikely to ever be bulldozed for development.  

Engaging with the Natural Realm and documenting its treasures is my favorite thing to do. Though I have many interests and hobbies, everything else will generally take a backseat when there are tiger beetles to see and photograph. Winter can be a tough time for the naturalist and winter birding can indeed help carry one through it. It's already mid-January. Sandhill Cranes will return at the end of February, and by March one can have their pick of a whole panoply of nature-y things to do.

It won't be long now!

All images © 2022 Mike McDowell