8.22.2022

An August Outing!

"We feel connected to nature, yet we can hardly explain why nature impresses us so much, or why do we seek to spend time in nature. The truth is that we are part of nature as anything else. When we disconnect from nature, we forget who we are."

― Andy Astbury
Finally! There was decent weekend weather to go forth into the wilderness on a Nature excursion! My last outing was near the end of July, and now we're nearly into late August. The gap has in some way made my summer feel shortened. Anyway, I couldn't think of a better destination than Spring Green Preserve, plus I wanted to do reconnaissance for Splendid Tiger Beetle, Lori's #16 and final Wisconsin species for her state list. Well, I didn't find any, but there were Big Sand, Festive, Punctured, and Virginia Metallic present. My guess is the Splendids will have their late summer/fall emergence by the end of this week, if not by Wednesday. I will return soon to check for them again. 
I haven't been visiting the Pheasant Branch Creek Corridor for fall warbler migration and I'm sure by now there are a variety of them present or moving through. More so in spring, there are times during the seasonal avian migrations I wish I could explore two or three places at once. But one must choose. No matter what's missed, what's experienced and earned is always the better thing. And no ― I did not bother to chase the Brown Booby. I also heard there was a Limpkin and Yellow-crowned Night Heron. All three species would have been life birds, but I feel no less a naturalist for having purposely ignored their unusualness. 
Traversing the flower-speckled prairie before leading to the forest entrance, I admired the Liatris and other late summer wildflowers. But to get to the bluff where Splendids hunt on the rocky outcroppings, I had to hike through the woods where there were tons of mosquitoes. For the most part, there has been a dearth of the blood-sucking insects this spring and summer, which was fine by me. I put some repellent on and continued on my uphill hike.
Partway up the trail I could hear warbler chip notes in the canopy, so I stopped and gave a brief pish ― a Black-and-white Warbler was quick to respond and came down to check me out. Nothing more to see here, and so it returned foraging for insects. There were other songbirds present in the woods, mostly detected by ear: Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Eastern Towhee, Red-eyed Vireo, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Pileated Woodpecker, Black-capped Chickadee, and a few others. 
Why can't they all be red leaved? Everywhere I've gone this summer there seems to be an abundance of Poison Ivy. As one who is fantastically allergic, I'm always on the lookout as I make my way down a forrest trail. It was a decade ago that a rather severe reaction put me in the hospital ― I was covered neck to ankle in bubbly blisters and even managed to get cellulitis on top of it. I missed a week of work and was put on a prolonged course of prednisone and an antibiotics. Since then I keep a tube of Zanfel in my backpack in the event I suspect a brush or touch of the toxic plant to my skin. So far, so good.


I didn't pay much attention to subjects on the way up the bluff trail, but I made a quick stop for an Eastern Comma and a couple of mushrooms. The forest floor was rich with fungi and I was hoping to come across Amanita muscaria, but no such luck this time. 
And then at the top!
But as I mentioned above, the Splendids were not out and active. This didn't keep me from waiting for them for at least an hour or so. I kept hoping that there could be at least one early emergence, but I did not detect it if it actually occurred. There are several rocky outcroppings to inspect, but I eventually called it a negative data-point and headed back down the trail to return to the prairie. August 23rd remains my earliest record for the Splendids. 
The hike down is considerably easier and I'm more likely to stop and pay closer attention to critters on the trail. The astute observer is always rewarded at Spring Green.
Thus, gems of the day! This Virginia Metallica Tiger Beetle.
A very green-hued Festive Tiger Beetle. 
A dandy of a Robber Fly with prey.
For my surprise and superb observation of the outing, the rare and state-endangered Ornate Box Turtle Terrapene ornata. I hadn't seen one in over a decade, so it was wonderful opportunity to observe and photograph one for a few minutes. Since there were other visitors hiking the trail, I decided to move the turtle to a more secluded location. You see, there's a problem with idiots poaching these and other reptiles from Spring Green Preserve and people have been asked by The Nature Conservancy not to write about them. On the other hand, I think it's good for the general public to know that these turtles are there and to report any suspicious off-trail illegal collecting activity to the local authorities. Without this knowledge, the average trail user might not think anything of a couple of people off-trail carrying boxes, cages, duffle bags, sacks, etc. If you see it, report it. Follow and get license plate number(s) if you're averse to confrontations with criminals. 
As we started, it's late August. I've already observed patches of yellow and red in trees around my neighborhood. Leaves have started to fall showing the woodland pigmentation phenomenon. The photoperiod constricts, temperatures are cooler ― hints of decay are present in a deep inhale. There are a few more goals this summer, like helping Lori earn #16, and perhaps yet finding Twelve-spotted and Cow Path Tiger Beetles for a seasonal sixteen tiger beetle species for me. Whatever success is earned or lost, none of it has been time wasted. Yes, go to the woods, explore the prairies in what remains of summer and fall. But as the wise conservationist adage goes: Take only photos, leave only footprints.  
All images © 2022 Mike McDowell