9.02.2024

Splendid Weather, Splendid Beetles!

"I live to enjoy life by the littlest things, feeling the grass between my toes, breathing fresh air, watching the wind sway the trees, enjoying the company of loved ones, a deep conversation, getting lost in a good book, going for a walk in nature, watching my kids grow up. Just the feeling itself of being alive, the absolute amazing fact that we are here right now, breathing, thinking, doing."

― Marigold Wellington
September at Spring Green Preserve is quite dramatic, as the landscape transitions from summer to autumn. The colors begin to change, with grasses turning golden and the leaves of scattered trees and shrubs starting to show subtle hints of red and orange. The prairie is alive with late-blooming wildflowers like blazingstar, goldenrods, and asters, their vibrant colors attracting a variety of pollinators. Migratory birds are passing through, adding movement and sound to the preserve, while cooler temperatures bring a crispness to the air. The combination of changing colors, active wildlife, and the serene setting makes September a beautiful and dynamic time to visit this unique prairie. 
My favorite reason to visit Spring Green Preserve at this time of year is to witness the second emergence of the Splendid Tiger Beetle Cicindela splendida. There's something thrilling about the anticipation of finding these elusive insects. The hike up the bluff, with its challenging terrain and trails bordered by poison ivy (occasionally rattlesnakes and black widow spiders), adds a sense of adventure and a small test of stamina. Knowing that this preserve is one of the few places where I can reliably find this species makes the experience even more rewarding, turning each sighting into a special and memorable moment.
They make their summer home and hunting grounds on the rocky outcroppings, which to me resemble little condominiums for beetles. It's fascinating to see how these rugged, sunlit rocks provide the perfect habitat for the Splendid Tiger Beetles, adding another layer of charm to their already captivating presence.
These rocky outcroppings aren't just homes but also serve as essential refuges for the Splendid Tiger Beetles. They use the little holes to escape the sun's intense heat during the day and as nocturnal resting quarters, perfectly suited to their needs.
It didn't take long to find one! So cool looking ...
Startled by my approach, the beetle scampered down the wall and paused at a flattened area, as if to either check me out or resume its hunt. Its quick, deliberate movements and momentary stillness added to the sense of a creature perfectly adapted to its rugged environment, always alert and ready to react.
By noon, the rocks had become quite warm, prompting the beetle to shuttle back and forth between the shade of an overhanging rock to cool off. Tiger beetles are masters of thermoregulation, carefully managing their body temperature to maintain optimal physicality, whether they're hunting prey or quickly escaping threats. This delicate balance between staying warm enough to be active and cool enough to avoid overheating is key to their survival.
I enjoy photographing them on colorful lichens, as the vibrant hues create a stunning backdrop that enhances their natural beauty. The contrasting textures of the lichens and the sleek, iridescent bodies of the beetles make for captivating images, capturing the essence of their rugged habitat while highlighting the intricate details of both the insects and their surroundings.
Back in the shade to cool off, yet ever vigilant and poised to strike at any nearby prey that might dart past, I chose to leave the beetle undisturbed for the remainder of the day. There was something fascinating about watching it in this moment, fully engaged in its natural instincts. The interplay of light and shadow on its iridescent shell, combined with its alert posture, created a beautiful scene that captured the essence of life in the wild. 
Perhaps my last look of the bluffs for the season before heading back down to the main trail.
Though I encountered numerous Festive and Big Sand Tiger Beetles on the way up the bluff, I didn’t stop to photograph them. In my experience, the observation window for Splendid Tiger Beetles often closes around 2:00 PM, so I wanted to make the most of my time searching for them. Plus, I aimed to conserve my energy for the challenging hike ahead.

So, Big Sand above and below ...
And Festive ...
At the parking lot entrance I found a female Locust Treehopper ...
And that's it! There's at least the remainder of September for tiger beetles, and perhaps into October. Recall not all that long ago I was able to find a few Bronzed Tiger Beetles along the Wisconsin River near Sauk in early November. Where does the time go? 
That's quite a few steps for one day—just over 10 miles by my stride. I really do have a Northwoods blog in the works, but I wanted to finish this one to avoid getting overwhelmed with pending posts. This weekend, I birded with some friends along the Pheasant Branch Creek Corridor and found about a dozen warbler species. Considering NEXRAD's map from last night, I was hoping for more, but I’ll gladly take what I can get.

All images © 2024 Mike McDowell